1815: The Return of the horses of St. Mark in Venice

Commented by: Matilde Cartolari

The bronze horses of Saint-Mark’s church in Venice have a long story of appropriations and dispossessions. Taken as war-booty from Constantinople in 1204, they embodied the power of the Venetian Republic for more than five centuries, before being moved to Paris after the French conquest. Their return to Venice in 1815 was celebrated as an act of munificence and generosity by the restored Austrian government.→ Continue reading



Diesen Blogbeitrag zitieren
Nathalie Okpu (2018, 16. Mai). 1815: The Return of the horses of St. Mark in Venice. Translocations. Ikonographie. Abgerufen am 14. Juni 2024, von https://transliconog.hypotheses.org/394

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert

Diese Website verwendet Akismet, um Spam zu reduzieren. Erfahre mehr darüber, wie deine Kommentardaten verarbeitet werden.